Tob Tabs

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Halloween With the McKeans

I know Halloween is done, over, and packed up for the year.  I mean [hello]  October 2013 is practically old news.  Four day old news in fact.  But let's just hope the saying, "better late than never," will apply to what I'm about to share in this post.  In my opinion, the photo below just speaks for itself.  If that doesn't compel you to read on, than I'm not sure what will.  (Though, it's probably posts relevant to the upcoming season).      

 This year was Kasen's first Halloween, and I've been planning his outfit for months upon months.  Is that weird?  I'm thinking it's just a mom thing.  And those who are the really organized type.  I used to never plan far in advance for much of anything.  Now, pretty much everything down to what time I go to the bathroom is planned.  (I'm only kidding).  Though, our lives have a bit more structure vs. spontaneity these days.  But back to the costume planning I started in June.  Yeah, June.  I couldn't help it, I was just sooo excited.  My husband and I decided that Kasen would be a minion since they are small and adorable, which was only fitting.  The runner up costume was a lobster and close behind was a baby Clark Kent.  I'm glad we went with a minion though.  

Now before I show more pictures of Kasen on Halloween, I have a few more Fall happenings at the McKean household to unfold.  I've talked a little bit about how important date nights are, and how me and my hubby slack on them unintentionally.  We dominated this month though, and the best was a scary movie date night.  This date was spooktacular. (sometimes I just HAVE to be cheesy, okay).  

We dropped our munckin off at his grandparents and then stopped by Sonic and got some Route 44 Root Beers.  Then, we got a redbox.  My husband picked "Mama" which I had been dead set on NEVER seeing.  Does anyone remember the movie trailers?  Ugh.  They were creepy. You know, the kind of movie trailers you don't want to be alone watching, even if it's daylight.  So when it happens to air, you turn the channel as quickly as you can.  Yeah, that kind of creepy.    

I almost made him go back and pick out another one, but he really wanted to see it, so I compromised.  I was in too good of a mood anyways.  Probably because of the cute holiday food I was making.  Just so you know, I looove all the ideas on pinterest.  I usually pin more than I make, so I love a good excuse to actually make what I find.  Our snacks for the night were as follows:  Mummy dogs, popcorn, chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin spice Rice Krispy treats, and s'mores brownies.  
I'm not very good at writting out instructions for recipes, so I will provide one full recipe.  (The easiest of course). And I'll give you a few details on the rest.      

Mummy Dogs  
1 package of canned crescent rolls
1 package of pre-cooked hot dogs
(optional) 1 package of pre-cooked Lil Smokies sausage links
(optional) Mustard or Ketchup

These turned out super cute, and they are pretty simple to make.  Instructions probably are not even necessary, but just in case, here it is:
First, you will need to pre-heat your oven to what ever the can of crescent rolls instructs.  Then, you will open the can of crescent rolls and roll the dough out flat on a cooking sheet. You will then slice the dough in skinny strips.  I used a pizza cutter, but I'm sure you could use a knife or something to that nature. 

 Next, you will get your hot dogs and/or lil smokies and you will wrap them with the strips of dough.  You will want to use a few on each of the hot dogs, but you will want to leave some gaps to make it look like a mummy.  You can see the picture below for an example.

After you finish that, you will put them in the oven on a baking sheet (you can use the one you used to roll the dough on if you so choose).  You will bake them for the amount of time it specifies on the crescent roll can.  

Once they are done, you will let them cool.  Then, you can use ketchup or mustard to make small eyes on the mummy dogs.  Just squeeze two dots for eyes on each one, and you've now made the cutest Halloween or scary movie snack.       



For the s'more brownies, I just made my favorite brownie recipie which just happens to by my granny's family recipie.  I made a graham cracker crust for the bottom and added some chocolate chips and pumpkin spice marshmallows on top and let them broil for a few minutes after the brownies were finished baking.  

As established earlier, Kasen was a minion for Halloween.  And I'd have to say he was the cutest minion around town.  Some might even say he was the cutest minion to ever be a minion.  Am I right, or am I right?  Since he was too young to actually trick-or-treat, we took him to his great grandparents.  They always have truck loads of tricker-treaters each year.  We all handed out candy and showed off his adorable outfit.  I love seeing other people's creative ideas for their kids.  It made me excited for when Kasen is old enough to trick-or-treat.  Possibly next year?  Is that too early?  Speaking of, I'm not trying to be offensive, but I think it's quite tacky (not to mention ridiculous) when someone takes their baby (a 3 month old to be exact) tricker-treating.  This baby and mom were flying solo, and I wonder who that candy was for?  I mean, come on.  Pretty sure your three month old doesn't eat candy.  But what do I know?

After saying that, the picture below make me laugh.  My grandpa gave me and my husband a big bag of left-over candy, and I decided to snap a picture of Kasen in the pile of it.  

Don't worry he didn't eat any of the candy....Though, I can't say the same for his dad or me.




We had a good night.  And a great end to October.  If you are wondering, I went as myself for Halloween.  I mean if you don't have a costume, than it's okay to go as yourself... as long as you're a princess that is.  Oh, I think I'm funnier than I really am.  You can see more of what we've done this Fall here.  And stay tuned for more Fall related fun.  Until next time.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner