Tob Tabs

Monday, October 7, 2013

Everythings Bigger in Texas

I've got a case of the Sunday night blues.  You know, as if I have to wake up and go to school the next day.  Middle-school at that. Yikes.  

Glad I'm past those days, but I can't seem to shake that once removed feeling.  This weekend was one of the very best weekends I've had in awhile, and I'm sad to see it end.  I guess I'll hold Dr. Seus's quote close to my heart today.  "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."  

So what did our weekend hold?  A road trip to Kyle's oh so favorite state and not to mention home town.  The dear oh dear state of Texas.  Ohh Texas.  I am quite fond of Texas.  
We started our road trip off on the right foot with lunch at What-a-burger.  It's always a must have when we pass one.  Even if we're not particularly hungry.  We were starved though, and boy does their food never disappoint. So a fussy baby, pandora, and a few hours later we finally made it to the good ole' state of Texas.  We stayed with Kyle's grandparents for the weekend.  They took us to dinner that night, then we settled back in at their house with coffee and a movie, which I got to choose (and this sooo never happens).  I picked Breakfast at Tiffany's, and after seeing it for the first time, I think I'll add eating breakfast outside the Tiffany's store in New York to my bucket list.  Just because. Maybe I'll even wear a tiara.  ; )

After the movie, we went to bed early, seeing that we had to wake up at four the next morning.  Yes, FOUR.  At least that's what we thought (and by we, I mean my husband). Who knew that four in the morning would arrive so quickly.  We were up at the crack of dawn because we were meeting some of Kyle's friends' to have some family pictures taken.  Some how I got ready on time AND managed not to look like a complete disaster at that.  Early rising never looks good on me.  We loaded up our still sleeping child (thank goodness) and headed out.  The drive was half an hour, and it was still pitch black outside once we arrived at our destination a little before six.  In my semi-delirious state of mind, I actually wondered why they wanted to meet up so early since the sun doesn't rise for another hour, but what did I know?  I didn't give it much more thought as it was too early for thinking to be done.  Especially before coffee.  

The minutes ticked on, and there was no sign of Kyle's friends.  Maybe they were running late?  This warranted a call, in which no answer was received.  "Maybe they meant six at night?"  my dearest of dear husband thought out loud.  Sending them a quick text, it began to dawn on us that six at night might actually have made more sense.  You think my ever so clever husband would have thought to ask that ahead of time.... ; )  Because if you already didn't know, six o'clock in the morning and six o'clock at night are VERY different.  Surly they meant in the morning though.  Please let them have meant in the morning.

All you can do is laugh though.  Laugh at the text that informs you that the meeting time was indeed at night.  Laugh that we had actually gotten all dolled up at FOUR in the morning.  Just laugh.  And just maybe treat yourselves to doughnuts.  ; )    

I'm sure calories don't count that early in the morning.  It was still dark when we got back to Kyle's grandparents house with just a small hint of the sun coming up.  I'm almost sure I've seen the sun rise before.  But I suppose I haven't really slowed down and taken it in.  Since we were up, including Kasen at this point, we three watched the beauty of the sun rising over the horizon.  It wasn't anything special or romantic as you see in movies, but it was a nice ending to the morning.  Or, well, nice beginning I should say?  Not really sure what we were going to do that day, Kyle's grandparents sent us away to the Texas State Fair, insisting on watching Kasen.  And how could we say no?  It had been quite awhile since we had spent time together.  Just the two of us.  We decided to go ahead and go early instead of going back to sleep first and wasting the day away.  Though sleeping for a few hours did seem enticing... but to the fair we went.

We got lucky and found a free parking spot on the road across from the fair grounds.  Guess the early bird really does get the worm.  Of course if I were a bird I would much rather have cake.  Strawberry cake at that.  Nothing really opened until 9 a.m. so we just walked around the empty fair grounds looking at everything.  I had my eye on all the minions you could win.  As we strolled around, it began to get chilly and not to mention cloudy.  It actually started to feel like Fall was upon us. And we were SO not prepared for that kind of weather.  

The first thing we did once everything opened was eat.  As if the doughnuts from a few hours earlier weren't enough.  But I got to cross something off my bucket list.  Eating an odd fried food.  Which happened to be fried Oreo's, or should I say fried duh-licious-ness.  Seriously.  After my new found love of fried Oreos, we shared a lemonade, looked at precious farm-animals and cars, and scouted out games.  Games that had large minions as prizes in particular.  Even though it was lightly raining and freezing, it made for a fun morning.  A fun, un-crowded kind of morning.  The best part of the day was when my hunk of a husband won me one of the minions that I had my heart set on.  It took four games, but it was well worth it.  You should have seen the look on Carny's face after Kyle actually won.  He had thought he had suckered my husband into playing, not realizing just how awesome he was.  Oh sweet victory.   

We ended our fair experience with nachos eaten by no other than myself and a footlong corny dog for Kyle.  Oh, and would you judge me if I said we had some fried reeses on the way out as well?  You know I'm beginning to believe that everything really is bigger in Texas.  Prime example is ME.  Pretty sure the amount of calories I ate in half a day was absolutely outrageous.  But it was well worth it, as everything was extraordinarily good.  Because there is nothing worse than wasting a meal on food that is not so great.  You know?    As we left it got colder and colder.  It was absolutely freezing outside.  Probably because we had shorts on, and you better believe we got some crazy looks from people that were actually prepared with coats and jeans on.  And just a side note, we have decided that the best time to go to the fair is in the morning.  Early in the morning at that.  

I don't think sitting in a car has ever felt so good.  We cranked the heat up, and decided to drive around Dallas.  We ended up at an estate sale where the cheapest thing was a 300 dollar pillow.  I don't think we could have gotten out of there quicker.  Our next destination was the mall, where all the people that didn't go to the fair were at.  I bought a new outfit for our pictures that night all thanks to the cold weather. ( Really, thank you weather).      

By the time we were done, it was almost time for pictures.  We picked up Kasen and got ready at the right time of day this time.  I won't lie, I said a few prayers that my sweet little six month old, Kasen, would be happy and in a good mood for pictures.  You just never know with him.  Luckily, I have a baby model on my hands.  Haha not really, but that kid was working it.  He was looking at the camera and even cracked a smile or two.  I think I have trained him well with how many pictures I take of him all the time.  Now, if only I could get my husband to cooperate as well as Kasen ; ).  We are so excited to get the pictures in.  Our friends James & Lori, that Kyle has pretty much known his whole life, do such a fabulous job on pictures.  They took our engagement pictures and a few wedding pictures and videography.  Just for fun here are a few of our engagements they did : )  

Stay tuned for the family pictures.  : )  Here is their website for the photo credits.   

So the next day we woke up ate breakfast at Steak&Shake (breakfast included a shake) and headed home.  We stopped at What-a-burger, though this time we were not hungry. Oh, and we topped the trip off with a good old fashioned speeding ticket.  And once again by we, I mean my husband.  Not the added bonus we wanted, but it is what it is.      

Our spontaneous road trip proved to be a fantastic time.  Minus the ticket.  The last time Kyle & I spent quality time together was on our very first wedding anniversary trip, which was two months ago.  I vowed to have regular date nights after it, but we haven't honestly made it a priority.  I want to change that.  I forget how much fun we have together, and that is kind of sad.  I know there are couples that are dying for the alone time Kyle and I sometimes take for granted.  Even though we have a baby, it doesn't have to be an excuse.  Now don't get me wrong, I see Kyle everyday.  And everyday we talk, laugh, and joke.  And I enjoy doing life together with him, but from time to time it is good to set aside quality one on one time.  To plan something fun or romantic to do together.  Learning to make this a habit now will only help us in the future as life adds possibly more kids and more busyness.  -CHEERS       

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Design by Neat Design Corner